Linux powered eBook reader NOOkcolor gets pinch and zoom functionality in the browser through a firmware upgrade.
Barnes & Noble today pushed a minor update for NOOKcolor firmware which will, in addition to pinch and zoom, improves wireless connectivity, improves Home and Shop performance; enhances the reading experience for magazines and children's books; and adds a text banner to easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me book.
You can check if you already have the latest software installed. Tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOKcolor and check to see that your Software version is 1.1.0. If your device is not running the latest software, there are two ways to update your NOOKcolor:
Wireless/Automatic Update: If your NOOKcolor is registered and has Wi-Fi connectivity the device will be updated over the next few days, just keep the Wi-Fi connected.
1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
2. Tap Settings on your NOOKcolor's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOKcolor battery charge is at 20% or more.
3. Connect your NOOKcolor to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOKcolor. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOKcolor drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOKcolor screen.
4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOKcolor drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOKcolor drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.
6. Your NOOKcolor will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
7. Please do not turn off your NOOKcolor during the installation process.
8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOKcolor will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.
9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.
NOOKcolor must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOKcolor will reboot itself back to the Home screen.