Damn Small Linux is a experiment to fit all the necessary Linux apps and utilities in an CD image as small as possible. After a long time of being not developed, a release candidate was finally released of the upcoming 4.11 release.
The most notable changes are:
- Updated JWM to v2.1.0 (now supports rounding).
- Updated Dillo to 3.0.2 (much improves CSS support).
- Added xChat 1.8.9 (the last version that supported gtk1.2).
- Added sic 1.1 IRC client.
- Added XCalc-color.
- It is now possible to switch between JWM & Fluxbox without shutting down X; I had to modify and add a few scripts to accomplish this.
- Added menu items to switch between DFM & xtdesk icon engines or use none at all.
- Added JWM menu to display or not display icons in menu.
- Added menu items for backgrounds and theme fetch & display for both JWM and Fluxbox so that one does not need to launch and navigate DFM to select.
- Added option to load the default background to native themes while allowing wallpaper.lua to override.
- Coordinated default JWM & Fluxbox themes; they have the same color scheme and mood.
- Used "orangetheme.thm" by Lucky13Linux for JWM, as well as modded the taskbar, menu and window decor so that they all take up less space.
DSL runs flawlessly on old hardware and uses RAM as low as 64 mB. You can help test this version by downloading from here.