Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, announced their plans of brining Ubuntu to smart TVs earlier this year. We have not heard much about the status of Ubuntu after the initial announcement. Users are curious about how the project is moving forward.
Jim, a senior software engineer at Ubuntu TV project, has blogged about the progress they have made till now.
- Nux – a widget/graphics library had been created by Canonical.
- Ubuntu TV is going to be ported to Unity 3D.
- Qt is to be replaced by Nux.
- Video, Music, DVR and Pictures lenses possibly will be present.
- Grilo framework to be used to get metadata
The Ubuntu TV team is looking for community help in different areas such as creating a Grilo plugin to retrieve online metadata and creating a C++ binding for Grilo.
If you want to join this project, you can get in touch with the team through their mailing list (email@example.com) and #ubuntu-tv IRC channel on freenode.