The Linux Foundation has announced dates and schedule of LinuxCon and CloudOpen today. The two events are going to be held in San Diego, California from 29-31st August, 2012.
This is the first year for CloudOpen while LinuxCon is held every year. CloudOpen is mainly aimed for software developers and IT managers who want to deploy open-source on cloud. CloudOpen will promote all the major open-source cloud technologies available today. These events are going to be held in parallel with LinuxCon North America which is the world's leader in Linux Conferences and addressing matter of Linux in enterprise, business and technology.
Some of the key highlights of the event are given below.
- Linus Torvalds has confirmed to attend the event and join the exclusive Linux kernel panel moderated by James Bottomley, CTO of Server Virtualization at Parallels
- Technology executives from major open-source organisations like Canonical, Google App engine and Opscode will debate in a keynote panel titled “IaaS vs Paas: Composite Primitives for Building in the Cloud.
- The event will start with a keynote panel aimed at defining the open cloud. Red Hat's Gluster Community Manager John Mark will moderate a panel in which representatives from Citrix, Eucalyptus and OpenStack will discuss how the open cloud is being defined, including perspective on the cloud stack, platforms and role of open-source software in cloud
- HP’s Bdale Garbee, CTO of Linux and Open Source, and Richard Kaufmann, Chief Technologist of HP’s Cloud Services will discuss the intersections for HP’s Linux and cloud strategies.
- Senior Director of Cloud Computing at Citrix, Mark Hinkle, will speculate on the evolution of cloud computing in a keynote titled “The Cloud in 20 Years.”
- Intel’s Director of Open Source Technology Center Imad Sousou will talk about importance of Linux at Intel.
- SUSE’s Michael Miller, Vice President of Global Alliances, will deliver a keynote on building private clouds titled “Service Oriented Clouds: Responding to Lines of Business.”
- Canonical Vice President of Cloud at Canonical Kyle MacDonald will present “Open Cloud: Collapsing the Layers.”
This year's LinuxCon is mainly focused on cloud technologies and the role of open-source software and Linux in it. We also posted previously about FOSS.IN, one of the largest open source events in India, going to be held from November 29 to December 1 this year.