LG has announces its G2 phone without the Optimus branding, marking its commitment to high end Android smartphones. The phone will be available across the globe through more than 130 carriers, which includes the all four major US carriers.
One of the core features of G2 is that it has moved all the buttons away to rear and calls it the first smartphone to be completely devoid of side buttons.
LG argues that “The unique Rear Key concept came from the realization when studying users that the larger the phone became, the more difficult it was to properly access the side keys. Moving the main buttons to the back of the phone gave users more control since this place was where individuals’ index fingers are naturally located. Researchers found that moving the buttons also resulted in fewer dropped phones when adjusting the volume while talking.”
The phone comes with a 5.2-inch full HD display. The company is using Dual Routing technology which reduces the phone’s bezel to a mere 2.65mm on the side edge. Since its IPS display it offers great graphics, accurate colors and clear images without any distortion.
As expected LG has its own custom software on top of Android to ‘enhance’ user experience.
- Answer Me automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.
- Plug & Pop — Recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link — Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote — Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside — Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode — Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
LG G2 will be rolled out in over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other key markets.