XMir, display server developed by Canonical for Linux is now available for Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy salamander. XMir will be the default display server for the Ubuntu 13.10, however X server will be provided as fallback session.
To install the XMir on Ubuntu 13.10 ‘Saucy Salamander’ run following commands.
sudo apt-get install unity-system-compositor
Currently enabled featuers of the XMir display server, as explained by Kevin Gunn on ubuntu-devel, are:
- Support for xserver-xorg-video-intel
- Support for xserver-xorg-video-ati
- Support for xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
- Intel sna enabled
- Unity 7 operation fully functional with no visible corruption
- Important application operation functioning with no visible corruption (Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, etc)
- Good performance (without bypass), approximate 10% addition of overhead,
- in most cases normal operation results in 60fps
- Fallback to stand alone X (for proprietary drivers)
- Multi-monitor mirror mode works, but screen resolution changes not well handled
- VT switching working
- removed hardware cursor
However there are some bugs and features on which XMir development team is working, you can have a look at them here.