In News: Ubuntu 13.04, Steam for Linux, Joomla 3
Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) is just a few hours away now. Every new release of the most popular Linux distro always gets the whole media world buzzing with reviews, rants, praises, and discussions. In recent times, though, Ubuntu has received a good amount of flak for its bold new Unity desktop environment. But from what it looks from its beta releases, Ubuntu 13.04 seems to have improvised a lot in that department, especially the speed & response factors. The speed up primarily comes from Canonical’s decision to use a mobile device (Nexus 7) as a reference for performance tuning.
- Are you a blogger? Now you can make money from Muktware....check it out: Muktware's Bloggers Network
With these changes, Canonical hopes to win users back who solely left because of Unity. Just a few days before this release, Canonical even updated the codebase of its upcoming Ubuntu Phone OS to Raring. Sure you’ll grab a copy of the latest and greatest release of your favorite OS as soon as it hits the shelves, but if you are wondering what do to after installing/upgrading, here’s a nice 10-things-to-do from OMG! Ubuntu.
New Steam Client Beta Available
A new Steam for Linux client was released by Valve yesterday as part of an overall Steam Beta update rollout.
- Added rate-limiting of Steam game downloads, via Settings -> Downloads
- Added “View” button to the downloads page for workshop items that shows you which items have been updated
- Fix handling of http_proxy environment variable http:// prefix in some instances.
- Overlay enable hotkey now handles more shifted keys correctly.
- Most-recently-played tray menu will not have an extra separator if no games have been played.
Joomla 3.1.0 and 2.5.10 out now
Popular open-source content management system (CMS) Joomla released yesterday new versions of their 3.x and 2.5.x branches. While 2.5.x still gives users and webadmins the nostalgic Joomla experience, the new 3.x series has been a complete redesign, based on the modern JS/CSS library Bootstrap. The v3.1.0 comes with 11 new features and several security fixes. Try it out live on its demo site now.