Raring Wallpaper Contest open for submissions
The bi-annual Ubuntu Wallpaper Contest is open for submissions to be included in the upcoming release of Ubuntu 13.04 – Raring Ringtail. Interested designers, artists and photographers may submit their work for consideration on the Ubuntu Flickr Group.
Iain Farrel from Ubuntu mentions that for this release the focus will be on quality and not quantity and as such only 10 wallpapers will be included in this release, however an eleventh might also make the cut as was the case with Ubuntu 12.10.
- Are you a blogger? Now you can make money from Muktware....check it out: Muktware's Bloggers Network
The lead visual designer at Canonical, Otto Greenslade, provides the following tips for possible submissions:
- Images shouldn’t be busy and filled with too many shapes and colours, a similar tone throughout is a good rule of thumb
- They should have a single point of focus, a single area that draws the eye into the image
- We should avoid having anything on the left and top edges as this will clash with the interface elements of the Launcher and Panel
- Try your image at different aspect ratios to make sure something important isn’t cropped out on smaller/ larger screens
A series of public IRC meetings will be held on Freenode in #1304wallpaper. The Flickr Group will however serve as the main platform for discussion.
The deadline for submissions is 8 March 2013 at 18:00 GMT and interested parties need to ensure submissions have been received by then.