Software freedom is not just about software, it’s also about the hardware it runs on. The Free Software Foundation has launched the “Respects Your Freedom” computer hardware product certification program to encourage the production of hardware which respects user’s freedom.
Free (that may confuse some) or Libre (or Mukt) hardware makes life easier for a user as he can be rest assure there are no components which will spy on him or restrict him from accessing any kind of work such as songs or movies. Mukt/Libre/Free hardware will also ensure that you won’t have to install non-free drivers to us it. If I see FSF certification on a hardware I will immediately know it will work with my GNU/Linux system.
The desire to own a computer or device and have full control over it, to know that you are not being spied on or tracked, to run any software you wish without asking permission, and to share with friends without worrying about Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) —these are the desires of millions of people who care about the future of technology and our society. Unfortunately, hardware manufacturers have until now relied on close cooperation with proprietary software companies that demanded control over their users. As citizens and their customers, we need to promote our desires for a new class of hardware — hardware that anyone can support because it respects your freedom.
Hardware we all want: FSF announces criteria for hardware endorsement program
FSF laid out the guidelines for certification requirements in January which clearly supports user’s freedom and right over the hardware.
“Respects Your Freedom” program is a great initiative by the Free Software Foundation and they need your help.
Help FSF build and promote the RYF certification program
- Support this work by donating or joining as a member.
- Buy certified products and encourage others to do so.
- Subscribe to the Free Software Supporter to receive announcements about new certified products.
- Let us know about hardware products that might be a good candidate for RYF certification.
- Contact a company that distributes hardware that already works with free software operating systems, or that runs on free software, and let them know about the FSF’s RYF certification program.