openSUSE team has announced the release of openSUSE 12.2 RC1 for testing. This release candidate gives us a glimpse of what openSUSE 12.2 will offer. There were some problems with Grub2 till the previous released, now it has been finally updated to Grub 2.0. The team has fixed the serial console support by respecting the console width. Its branding was also updated. There were fixes to udev, and to udisks and udisks2 to hide LVM RAID partitions, and many fixes came to autofs from an updated upstream patch.
The most notable update of this release is fixing the Torvalds bug. openSUSE team has responded to Linus Torvalds’ criticism of unnecessary security policy of openSUSE.
And finally, following a security audit, polkit privileges for colord were relaxed, allowing members of the Torvalds family to use colour management without causing further outrage.
Will Stephenson posts on openSUSE blog, “A lot of systemd fixes came in, including a crash and memleak fix when rotating journals. Many packages now include systemd unit files natively, so these were removed from the systemd package itself, for example for Plymouth, which has been updated to 0.8.5.1. rpm now calls systemctl daemon-reload when installing new init scripts.”
Other notable changes in this release are:
- Zypper has been updated to version 1.7.3, bringing output cleanups and support for double width fonts. libzypp’s PackageKit backend fixed a bug in reporting package download sizes. osc, the Open Build Service client, is now 0.135.1, with many bugfixes and adding archlinux package support. YaST’s package management UI received a segfault fix.
- Xorg is now the latest 1.12.3 point release, and many packaging fixes were made to its flock of source packages.
- GNOME sees many small fixes, for example that gnome-shell’s network applet creates private network connections if the user is not authorized to create system wide ones. Empathy, tracker, pidgin, rhythmbox, gnome-bluetooth and transmission received point release updates.
- LXDE’s lxpanel has been updated to 0.5.1, and a crash fix was made to the XFCE xfdesktop.
- LibreOffice is now at version 188.8.131.52, a crash bug in gimp was found and fixed, chromium is at versoin 22.0.1190, and icon fixes in scribus improve its usage under GNOME.
The openSUSE team is still debating its development model on the factory mailing list. You can download RC1 from this page.