How To Install Dual, Triple Boot Fedora 15 With Ubuntu, Windows 7
Fresh Install Of Fedora 15: In this chapter we will talk about how to install Fedora 15 on a brand new PC or a PC with no data on it.
Insert the Live CD/DVD or LiveUSB (as preferred) and restart the PC. After restarting you will see this screen. Since you are running the Live version of Fedora 15 as instructed above, you will see this desktop, with the new Gnome 3 interface. In order to install Fedora 15, click on the “Install to Hard Drive” option from the Launcher window.
- Are you a blogger? Now you can make money from Muktware....check it out: Muktware's Bloggers Network
1. Fedora Installer: Select the approproate keyboard for the system. → Next
2. What kind or device will your installation involve.
Here you will see two option. If you are going for normal installation of regular hard-drices choose the Basic Storage Devices. It will examine hard-drives. → Next
3. You can choose the name of your computer, this is the name which you will see in the network. → Next
4. Location. Please select the nearest city in your time zone. You can select your location on the map. → Next
5. Root password, now you have to enter the root password. If you choose a weak password where you will be propted to choose stronger password. → Next
6. Which type of installation would you like? Since you are going for a dual boot install which means there are other opearating systems on your PC and you want to be able to switch between different operating systems. We are choosing a machine which has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 installed. Select the Create Custom Layout → Next
7. Please select a device. In this window you can choose the partition where you want to install Fedora. You can see partitions of your other operating systems. As we discussed in this chapter, you must have free space (15GB recommended) for Fedora 15 installation. You will see something similar to this:
8. Select the free space and click on create. Select Standard Partition and click create.
You will see this windows
Mount Point: Select / from drop down
File System Type: ext4
Allowable Drives: Here you might see more than one drive (including your live CD/DVD or LiveUSB) or other HDD on your PC. Carefully select the drive on which you want to install Fedora and unselect the other ones.
Size: Give appropriate size for root of Fedora 15. I recommend keeping 15GB for Fedora 15, so put 15000 in this box
Additional Size Options: Fixed Size
Force To Be Primary partitions: Leave unchecked
Encrypt: leave it unchecked
Click OK. Now, you will see that root has been created.
9. Creating SWAP: Since you already have Ubuntu pre-installed the swap partition is already there so you don’t need to create root partition.
10. Create Partition for Fedora 15
If you want to create partition for data, you can select the remaining free space and select Create. You will be greeted with the similar Create Storage window where you have to select Standard Partition, click Create and then you will see this window
Mount Point: create the mount point for the partition. I have created /media/data
The structure is /media/NAME. You can choose the NAME of your choice, it must be one word and as short as possible.
File System Type: ext4
Allowable Drives: (select the one on which you are creating the partition)
Size. Enter the remaining free space, or if you want to create more than one partitions enter the desired space.
Additional Space Options: Fixed
Leave unchecked ‘Force to be a primary partition’ and ‘encrypt’ and clic ok.
If you want to create more than one partition, follow the step 10 and user new NAME for the mount point.
11. Now your hard-drive is ready for installation click on the Next Button. It will prompt you if you want to write changed to the disk, if you want to make changes you can select Go Back. If you click on write changes you won’t be able to correct anything. If you are confident, go ahead and click on Write Changes to Disk.
12. How to Dual Boot With Ubuntu? Now you will see this windows where it will give you option to select Fedora or any other distro as the default, since you have Ubuntu and Windows installed it is a bit tricky. Fedora doesn’t recognize Ubuntu. So, click Change Devies next to Install boot loader on /dev/sda.
In the pop-up windows “Where would you like to instll the boot loader for your system?” select the “First sector of boot partition /dev/sda[x]. Here [x] is the partition where Fedora is being installed. Click on OK and then Next.
It will start installing Fedora on your PC. Now there isn’t much for you to do. Fedora 15 will start the installation process which will take couple of minutes.
13. Once the installation is finished, close button which will bring you back to the Live desktop. It will not offer you to restart.
The installation has not finished yet. To complete installation removed the Live media and reboot the PC.
Gnome 3 has a strange approach towards this, there is no restart button. You will have to select Log Out from system settings and once inside logout window you can select the restart button from top right corner.
When the PC reboots, you will be greeted by Ubuntu’s Grub. Now, we have to tell Ubuntu (which has its Grub in MBR) where is Fedora. Boot into Ubuntu and start terminal. Enter following code:
Now, you can restart Ubuntu and boot into Fedora 15. You will be greeted by this window. Click forward.
14. Create User: Now you have to create user
Enter fields. Full Name
Username: this is the name of the account which you will need to log into your session.
You can see an option to add this user to Administrators group. If you want to add this use to be able to access administrative rights click on it.
Click on forward.
15. In this windows you can chose the time and date. Forward
16. Hardware Profile. This windows will scan your hardware and create a report. You can send this report to Fedora team which will help them understanding which hardware is supported and running Fedora 15, you need Internet connectivity to be able to send report. Otherwise you can kep Do not send profile option. Click on Finish. If you chose not to send profile it might prompt you to send it.
Eureka you now are running your new fedora 15.
* Note: If you have any proprietary hardware on your PC or if your PC doesn’t have enough graphics you may not see the much talked about Gnome 3.